1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Roosters begin "romancing" the hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Aug 11, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    My roos are 18 weeks old. I have one hen that is laying, 3 17 week old Austerlorps, and 3 16 wekk old EE's. My roos are forcefully trying to mate the females. I need to get rid of one of the roos and will after I decide which one is nicer to me and the hens. My roos do not do the mating dance or try to woo the hens in anyway. They just grab them by the neck hold them down and do their thing. If there is one poor hen left in thr run at night they tag team her. Will this behavior ever stop or do I need to begin looking for homes for both of them? Right now they have been banned to the yard during the day so I don't have to listen to all of the screaming. Will my roos learn to be gentler with the girls?

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    My roo definitely became more gentle with experience, but he still does not do much of a mating dance. Some roosters are just nasty and will mate a hen repeatedly. In my opinion, those roosters need to go to the freezer. Not sure how many hens you have, but most people don't keep more than one rooster for every 8 - 10 hens, or the hens will be overmated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by