When do roosters get their spurs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Little-er, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Chicken Little-er

Chicken Little-er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    We have an 8 week old supposed Golden Laced Wyandotte -- with quite a large rose comb and a small emerging wattle -- so I've been thinking it's a rooster. But there's no sign of rooster behavior and no sign of spurs -- when do they start to come in? I'm kind of hoping we're wrong and that it's a pullet after all.

2. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    The spurs will usually be prominent around 6 mos old.Around 4 mos you may start seeing lil 'bumps'.I have an 8 mos old SLW roo that has absolutely no spurs yet,just a lil bump.

3. Chicken Little-er

Chicken Little-er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks! When did he start to get his comb and wattles and generally start acting like a roo?

4. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:His comb and wattles came in kinda early,he didn't start acting manly though until he almost got his butt kicked by a guinea roo....lol...

5. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    On of my roosters spurs started coming in at 13 weeks, there was no signs on the other rooster. And for anyone who wants to know I know they are both roos because they both crow. :)

6. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    here is a pic of my GLW roo...he was born April 4th.

[​IMG]

Here he is in the middle.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps! BTW, his name is Lil' Wayne and he is starting to "explore" the girls. [​IMG] Prob will have to re-home him.

7. chickenhobby1

chickenhobby1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    Its off the suject but I have a roo that looks exactly like the chicken in the bottom pic posted. The chicken right above the 7-10-11. Mine is an EE,.

8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Yup...the one u r talking about is my EE roo. [​IMG] Can;t have roo's, so gotta find him a new home. I can't do the freezer camp thing!

9. Tameieio

Tameieio New Egg

May 1, 2012
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the chicken raising hobby and new to these forums. I just bought a straight run of bantams about 3 weeks ago from out local feed supply. Lately I've been noticing that a few of the chicks look like they have 5 claws or spurs. I say claw because one of the claws looks more like its coming out of another claw. Could this be a spur? I also noticed that on the other foot there is only 4 claws/spurs. Could I have some kind of a deformed batch or is this the way a rooster starts to form? That odd looking spur/claw looks like its real flimsey and rubbery. I feel bad for them because it looks like they are almost walking on their own feet. There only about 3 and half weeks old.

10. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    This sounds like a couple may just have an extra toe if it's only 1 foot. If it's both feet & they have really dark legs & skin then you have silkies & they are supposed to have 5 toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by