when do roosters get thier spurs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Julie R, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Julie R

Julie R Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    I was wondering when I should notice spurs on my roo KFC ( pictured on my other thread " pic of my babies" ) Do all breeds of roos get spurs? Also ever since he has been crowing he has been acting alittle " cockish" he has this thing for pecking my feet if I wear open toed shoes into HIS yard. also he has been kinda bossy with my little BO peaches if she dare to get to the food frist he gives her a peck on the back of the head also if she is frist out the door to freerange he gives her a little peck also is this normal for a roo to act like this? I am normal scared of roosters but since I have had him since a one day old I have grown to love him but if he keeps getting to bossy with the other animals and me how do I handle him? he is only about 17 weeks old.

I have another quick question for all you duck people why are my two ducks herding my chickens and picking on them? they are very picky about thier little pool if the chickens get near it both ducks start this head bobbing thing and herd the chickens into a corner and mess with them - so far no one has gotten hurt- should i move ducks into thier own yard? both ducks are male does this have something to do with how they are acting?

sorry post is so long LOL

Julie R

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, dont know about ducks, but hopefully your roo grows up some more and gets manners. Once he learns how to treat the ladies he will be nice to them. As long as he doesnt start seeing you as a roo or danger, you are safe. Otherwise roo might have to be stew.

3. Julie R

Julie R Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Well went out today to feed the chickens and clean the kiddie pool for the ducks and that dang rooster just stood there looking at me at first then jumped up and tried kicking me - I know he is upset that he has not beenable to free range in a few weeks due to the fact we are moving and it is hardto stand out there and watch them with all this activetivey going on If he does not stop being so bossy with me I hate to say this but he is out the door !! I have 20 little ones going out in the yard when we move to the new place and I dont want him hurting them or me for that matter, but I will wait and see how he acts when he gets into his new bigger yard. KFC is on borrowed time right now !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by