When do roosters hormones mellow out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Zoo, Nov 16, 2009.

1. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    When can I expect him to stop being so darn randy? The two older hens hate it when he tries to mate them. To the point there has been blood injuries. I'm wondering if there's any hope for him or does he need to find a new place to live? He's 7 months old. Other than being very aggressive when mating, I've had no problems with him.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Seven months? Seems to me he should be mellowing out about now unless he's going to be one of those roosters that never gets over his testosterone poisoning. [​IMG]

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    At dinner time..I mean mine not his [​IMG] [​IMG] Honestly it depends on the roo..I have some that are so good and some that are hormone enraged idiots for ever..they make super guard dogs if everyone can live with them though.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:now that sounds like my roo, also about 8 months old and has a serious attitude... maybe he will chill out soon

5. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm not sure that they ever do. I ordered 6 pullets back in April and two of them turned out to be roos [​IMG] I wasn't happy about it becasue I am not supposed to have roos where I live. The roos were black silkies and very sweet. The thought of finding them a new home broke my heart. I had to separate the boys from the girls a few weeks ago when one of the boys ripped one of the girls combs and almost tore it off. She spent a day recovering in the bathroom and since then has been separated in the coop and run. All was fine until this past Saturday night when I tried to put the boys in the coop. I got bit twice and it wasn't even the alpha male that did it. Thank God it was me and not one of my kids. I called my local 4-H lady who ordered them for me and she told me to bring them to her and she would find a good home for them, one that doesn't include "freezer camp". My husband put them in the cat carrier and I dove them to her house, crying all the way. Within two hours she called me and said they went to a farm who LOVES silkies. A retired couple who love to spend time with their silkie chickens. I know this was the best thing for them and for my family but I am still crying as I type this. My heart is broken but, happy for them, just wish I could stop thinking and worrying about how they are doing getting adjusted to their new home.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I think you did the right thing- hard as it was, my silky roo hasn't shown aggression, maybe it takes 2 silkie roos together to get testy like that- wish my BR roo would settle down, don't know what to do about him- i would guess your roos will become very spoiled in their new home...

7. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    thank you, you got me crying again....I just hope they are spoiled! I swear I need a support group.....

8. g_a_brand

g_a_brand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]
    you have one here you did the right thing
    I hope you roo settles down soon .. mine have just descovered thier * man hood * so to speak , but on the good side one of my girls did the sqat for me today [​IMG] hopefully I will get our 1st egg soon

9. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Oof. If he had been that aggressive it would be a lot easier to rehome him.
    I should say the hormonal behavior started about a month ago. He may be a late bloomer (he is just now getting his spurs). If he is going to mellow into a good boy I'm willing to build him his own area (I can't have him in the coop with girls) but if he is always going to be like this? He's going to a ranch I found that will take him (and not eat him). I just don't know if he's worth the headache.

He has challenged me several times (I kicked him or whacked him and he quit and then avoided me) but it's always been in situations where I can understand it (ie: trying to mate, I was holding his favorite hen, etc) and never out of the blue. I just wish I knew how he would turn out - he's grogeous, an EE and absolutely lovely. And SO good with his favorite hen, finds her treats, sits with her when she's laying, etc. If only he would stop hurting my older girls it would all be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by