1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do roosters start crowing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FarmGirlNE, Aug 8, 2007.

1. FarmGirlNE

FarmGirlNE Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Tiplersville, MS
    My chicks are all about 4 months old now... most of them are roosters (and I'll have to sell a lot of them)... when do they start crowing?

Our first hatch of the year has 3 roos, and they aren't crowing yet either, they were hatched in March I think?

I'm ready to hear my little boys crow!! lol

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    They should start trying pretty soon, then you'll be sorry you asked! lol At first they sound like a squeak toy or a squeaky door.

3. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    My Buff rooster was born mid March and he let out his first crow this morning. He sounds a little........ ur........ feminine. Since he weighs in at about 7 1/2 to 8 pounds, I hope it gets a little deeper soon!!!!

4. FarmGirlNE

FarmGirlNE Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Tiplersville, MS
    Quote:hahaha... I can't wait [​IMG] We have a grown rooster that sounds like a squeaky toy lol He just doesn't crow well. Awhile back, bf said one of our roos from the first hatch tried to crow, but I haven't heard him yet.

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    my banty roo crowed attempted at 2 months and perfected it at 2 1/2. was he an early bloomer? truthfully, if he didnt crow that early, i could've kept him longer [​IMG]

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I had 12 roos in my order, my buttercup crowed at 2 1/2 months, my New Hampshire Red at 2 1/2 months......, the buff orpington began at 3 months. None of the 7 remaining have crowed yet. Every morning my Buttercup and NH Red have a crow off.....it's fun to watch!

7. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    Our first two roos were about three months old when they first started to excerise their voices. But I have one now that is only seven weeks old and this morning started to try out his voice!!!! He is apparently a quick study.

8. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Funny you should ask. I had a broody banty mama who hatched out two chicks about 8 weeks ago. I knew the one was a rooster just because of the fast comb development. Three days ago, I went to feed and water and heard what can only be described as a broken squeaky toy! Then...the other chick began the "squeaking" the next day. Couldn't believe THAT was a crow-had to see the with my own eyes! Cutie little roos they are tho! Maybe banties crow earlier than standards? Anyone know?

9. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My littlle guy started at 3 weeks, I've heard that is exceptional. Many people have 6-12 week chicks and still can't tell if they are roosters.

This video was taken at 22 days old.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  10. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    That is too cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by