1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Roosters start doing their...um, "groove thang"?...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TJ, Jun 20, 2007.

1. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Hi! I have 3 roosters for sure out of my almost 4 mo. old flock of 29 chickens...2 for sure have started crowing...but I'm wanting to know when do I expect these sweet lil' things to start getting where they're territorial, fighting, mating, etc...

Thanks for responding!

Take care,
    TJ

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    My 13 week old alpha roo started mating this week.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I have a boy who started at 11 weeks!![​IMG] he crows(kind of:lol:) and has attempted mating.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  4. nu2chixinmo

nu2chixinmo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Sturgeon, MO
    My Mr. Meany crowed for the first time last week, I was so EXCITED YEAH for him. He is about 14 weeks. Just the other day on my way up to the coop, I saw him "attempt" to mate with one of my hens. When I say "attempt", i really mean he "attempted" too. He is a big cornish cross roo that is about twice the size of my others. All he does is eat and lay down, very interesting picture it was. My hen was not so thrilled with the idea:D[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Had several crowing at five weeks old-what a riot! I have an Ameraucana boy who is nine weeks old and has a thing for my Speckled Sussex pullet. He's pretty good at it, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by