When do roosters start to crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittykorat, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    We have seven 13 week old chickens from MPC. They were all supposed to be girls, but one is definetely a roo. He is friendly, but the large comb and wattles, and the tail feathers, and the little stubby spurs coming in all say roo.

I live in a neighborhood- on a 1/4 acre. No roos allowed.
    No crowing so far... trying to rehome him... trying to get an idea of how much time I might have. He is a GLW if that makes any difference.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My welsummer cockeral started crowing at 4 DAYS old. I couldn't believe they could crow that early. My 2 BR cockerals are 6 weeks old and have yet to crow.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    My BO first crowed at 16 weeks. We live in the suburbs where there aren't any other roosters around so he had never heard a rooster crow. I think if they hear others in the vicinity, they might start to crow a little earlier. I ended up with four roosters (they were straight run so that was ok) but he was the only one crowing. Then we processed him along with two of the others and two days later the fourth started crowing (at around 17 weeks of age).

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    My Black Australorp started crowing at 10 weeks old.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I've got a bantam EE rooster that does not crow at all. He's at least 6 months old, I'm thinking more like 18 months since he seems to be starting to molt. (December, what a great time to lose all your feathers lol) I have a cockerel from him that is about 10 weeks old that hasn't crowed yet either. Maybe I have a line of non-crowing roosters? The hens in this line seem really quiet too.

Crowing at 4 days old? Wow...I can't imagine those little chicks crowing lol!

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    My Americana Roo is almost 6 months old and still no "Cock-a-Doodle-Do". Although I occasionaly see him open his mouth real wide as if to. He's a Roo in every other way though. [​IMG]

7. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    Quote:Wow....he is the perfect roo for a Chicken Outlaw like myself!

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    When they feel like it. Sometimes weeks and sometimes a year old with everything in between.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My suspected roo started a hoarse bray (certainly NOT a cookadoodledoo!) this past Saturday morning. At first, I didn't know what that sound was or where it came from - I actually thought, my goodness, is that neighbor's puppy next door out all night and miserable??? My god!

Then I heard it a third time, when I was right next to the coop, getting ready to let the MiniFlock (I have 8 chickens) out. Oh MY. That's a CHICKEN making that sound! I bet it's Carl, formerly known as Carly. Huh.

Sunday, Carl did it right in front of me, so I knew he was the source. He only did it in the morning. Today, too. Still very unchicken-like sound. There are roosters fairly near here - I've heard 'em, mornings, in the distance. Those are REAL rooster crows!

Oh, and Carl just turned 7 wks old this past Friday.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  10. GrandmaCluck

GrandmaCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I have 33 chickens - 3 of them roos. 2 Buff Orps and 1 delaware. 1 of the BO started to crow at 15 weeks. He is now 19 weeks and is getting much better at his crowing. I haven't heard the other 2 crow yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by