When do roosters start to crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nancy1zak, May 15, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have 3 Buff Orpingtons. Two have medium size combs and wattles, the third one has a little comb and wattle. One of the ones with the big comb and wattles, and the one with the tiny comb and wattles are laying eggs. (good girls!). The third one with a comb and wattles that looks like the other one, except...she/he is a tiny bit bigger...not even that noticeable, but is not laying eggs. Although...she/he is the leader of the group. We have 8 chickens all together. Since I am unsure...I am either waiting for an egg or waiting for crowing from this chicken...I wanted to know when chickens start to crow...She/he is about 28 weeks.

2. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Mine start somewhere around 3-4 months old. Wow, not crowing at 7 months old! Maybe a late blooming hen who will start laying soon. I've have a few hens wait that long to start laying (my very first chickens wouldn't ya know). How long has your other chicken been laying for? If you post pics we should be able to tell you if it's a hen or a roo.

3. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The one started laying last Friday, May 7, and the other one on May 8. Since then they have been laying every other day...so I get an egg a day. I figured the third one would be right around the same time or sooner since she looks more mature. We also have 2 RIR, 2 white Bantam Cochines, and 1 Americauna. None of them are laying yet. I have tried to post pix before from my desk top, but I can't get them to show up. Just and "x". Are there instructions on the website?

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    At the top of your screen on BYC you'll see "uploads" - go there and choose "browse" and find the picture on your desktop. It'll take a bit of time depending on the speed of your connection. Once the picture is uploaded there will be 2 links at the bottom. Copy and paste (highlight, right click, copy or paste) the image link right into the text of a reply. The picture will show up.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    My boys started crowing around 12 weeks of age... hope you have a late maturing hen.

6. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    yes, but I will tell you.
    1 go uplaods
    2 have the pictures on your desktop (click and draging them there usually works)
    3 search on the uploads for it's name thing
    4 down load
    5 copy and paste it's code on to your byc post

Hope that explains it!

7. robk0220

robk0220 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Wapwallopen, PA.
    Quote:Yes, we definatley need to see pictures lol.

Oh, and I thought we were about as far north in PA as you could go... While still seeing civilization lol

8. kuwaitchicken

kuwaitchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    Kuwait City
    as SpringChickens posted. my rooster started at around 12-14 weeks of age. only when they reached 3 month old they will crow like real rooster men [​IMG]

9. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    So, by now at over 5 months I could be hearing crowing that would be recognizable as a rooster? I will take pix this afternoon so I can try again to post them and you can get a better picture of the chicken in question.

10. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Well last night when I cut the heat lamp on which gives them light, (its like morning to them then) I heard this HORRIBLE sound coming from the brooder, I stopped and stood REAL quiet and yep I heard it again, it was a "crow" lol I call it a "crow" because it sure sounded PITIFUL lol

Our chicks were bought the last Monday in March as day olds so that makes them 6 weeks old!!!!! I knew knew knew the RIR that DH picked out was a cockerel but DH just had to have him, now he wants to keep him. BUT I am afraid to because we are only supposed to have 10 fowl and we have 16 total with a broody on 8 eggs ready to hatch this week! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by