1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Roosters tend to crow?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by careeka22, Sep 27, 2016.

1. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    My EE rooster is 13 weeks now and not a single peep. Not that I'm complaining! When do they normally start crowing? This is him about 2 weeks ago.

Also I saw in another post about hens doing an "egg song" before they about to lay? What is that? Hens are also 13 weeks so I don't expect them soon.

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's very dependant on breed. Some roosters may crow very early, others could take upwards of 8 months. 5-6 months, the same time some hens begin laying, is average.

The egg song is a very loud distress/general call. It's four note, like Buck-Buck-Buck-BAGAWH! And they'll repeat it for 5 or 10 or 20 minutes or however long they feel like. They'll do it when they're about to lay, after laying, or sometimes if something distressing has occurred (like a nearby predator or someone else in their nesting box).

And sorry but that's definitely not an EE. He looks like a mixed breed or possibly one of them Dixie Rainbows.

Edit: apparently my contacts aren't working today. junebuggena is right, that's absolutely a pullet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That is neither an Easter Egger nor a rooster. That is a Dixie Rainbow pullet.

1 person likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I also was thinking that isn't EE or even a pea comb. Actually, I don't think it looks like a cockerel....

My first roos didn't crow until 20+ weeks. My younger ones have an example now though and have started TRYING. It's a very funny sound.

5. EggSighted4Life

Congratulations! Most people end up with unexpected roos they don't need. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016

Really?? That's what they told me. I just thought it was a rooster because it was always much bigger, huge feet and gullets! Thanks

7. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    That is neither an Easter Egger nor a rooster. That is a Dixie Rainbow pullet. 
    [/quote

Wow! This whole time I thought it was a roo! Now I have to look up a dixie Rainbow never heard of them. The place I got them from told me EE, it's my first flock so I just believed them. Thanks

8. careeka22

careeka22 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016

Thanks! Wierd though my hens follow this one around, it's twice the size if them!

9. EggSighted4Life

Well, if it isn't the same breed as the others, size of comb or waddles aren't that relevant. EE have pretty small combs and waddles, if you can even see the waddles on them. So something with a straight comb may look huge in comparison.

That one may be the most bold and adventurous and the reason the others follow. Is it at the top of the pecking order? Also. in my experience the EE are often flighty birds. @junebuggena may have a different experience though. (do you breed them?)[​IMG]

Did you get them from a feed store? Mix ups happen both there and at the hatchery. I am not surprised they couldn't tell the difference back then. And if you got them form CL, some are just liars. To get pullets of another breed is less annoying than getting cockerels that are supposed to be female, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  10. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    I find it hilarious to imagine one trying to properly spell out the egg song sound, and when I read Queen Misha explanation (which is great!!) and thinking what one's face looks like when trying to sound out the song. No offence to anyone it just hit my funny bone just right! [​IMG]!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by