When do roosters......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenjen, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    What age are roosters when they start hopping on the hens?? Sorry, I didn't know how to word that tactfully

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Mine started about 14-15 weeks. Hens just started laying at 18 1/2 weeks. I think they like to practice first!!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It has seemed to me like when mine reach 17 or 18 weeks old they are ready to go. That just been with mine. Someone else might have a different opinion.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff orpington and buff rock both started at 17 weeks old.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    See! I knew my chickens were a bunch of delinquents! My alpha roo started practicing at 10 weeks. The hens started tolerating his practices when they were about 16 weeks old! [​IMG]

6. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    I don't know how old this guy is, I would guess he's about 4 months old. He just started doing this 2 days ago.(which was also the same day we FINALLY confirmed he was a rooster and not a pullet [​IMG] I was wondering if he was just practicing or what because so far he has been getting his butt kicked by my pullets. There seems to be only 2 pullets he's intrested in. All the pullets are approx. 6 months. No eggs yet. Like I said, I didn't know if he was practicing OR if my pullets could be getting ready to lay, or a combo. Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i had a leghorn that tried MATING,, or MOUNTING (lol) at 2months,,, till the hen threw him a few thousand feet away hahaha ,, guess he got watching dad too much [​IMG]

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I'm starting to think that my 24-week-old blue Orpington rooster is a pedophile. I had to put my little silkie in a separate coop/run because of his repeatedly, savagely raping her. It was so bad that I was/am afraid he would/will kill her. He's with three hens (his sisters), and as far as I know he has never even tried to mate with any of them.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:wows,,,, i just split my rir roo's and put 2 hens with each of them, 1 hen laying, the other not yet, and they only seem to mess with the ones laying,, i was afraid they would go after the young ones,, so i watched for 2 days,, no problems,,,,so far ( knock on wood)

10. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Hmmmm... my roos don't do anything of the sort like that...

And they are 6 months old.

Course, my hens don't lay either...

Right now I'd settle for a roo or a hen who acted like either one...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by