When Do Rouens start to lay???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Paganrose, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    I have 8 month old rouen ducks, that have shown interest in our drakes. I have caught one pair trying to breed in the water dish, and seen them breed several times last fall/summer in our pond, but have not yet seen a single egg from them. Is this normal????

Also do they need water to breed in to have fertile eggs? Since my pond is frozen soild, and my water dish isn't really big enough to get the deed done.

2. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a male & female Rouen Ducks. I am new to all this stuff, but learning. My ducks aren't really old, old. They are neat ducks with a good personality. My Rouen started laying about the 2nd week in December. Sorry I don't know to much about the ducks. Good Luck with your Ducks. ~ Julie~

3. exoticduckluvr

exoticduckluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Vancleave
    mine started laying at 5 months

4. Paganrose

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    But do they need water to breed in to have fertile eggs???? If so how deep should it be?? My pond is frozen soild, and the water dish is not big enough. Just wondering if I will have to start hauling larger amounts of water outside.

5. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont know if they need water to breed. I know some geese need water to breed. If you wanna try that approace, get a small plastic kiddie pool and put it in there pen. Fill it with water every morning and dump it at night so it dont freeze over.

Oh, and My ducks have a pond, and that the only place ive seen them breed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. Paganrose

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    Grrr darn cold weather. Is it almost spring time??????

I will have to find something that holds a few gallons to fill then. I can't have a hose out to the coop in single digit temps, and I am not going to haul the amount needed to fill a kiddie pool, (plus the first gallon or two might be frozen by the time I get the last one out!) I might have a tote that will work hanging around here though.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by