When do silkie head feathers get "fuzzy"?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kfisher123, Aug 1, 2011.

1. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    Our silkies are 6 weeks old. Their head feathers aren't "fuzzy" at all (their butts sure are!) so we were just wondering when they'll get their cute fuzzy heads??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Patience, young grasshopper.

She'll get fuzzy when she is good and ready to. And then she wont be able to see, and her IQ will drop exponentially! LOL!

3. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:[​IMG] Too true! They take their sweet time [​IMG] but it is well worth it!! [​IMG]

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    It depends on where you got her from. If she is hatchery stock, she will most likely never get a big crest. If she is from a good breeder, the crest can take a while to fill in. I was impatient too the first time I had some silkie chicks. I was so worried about their crest size!

5. kfisher123

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    They were from a hatchery...I really wish I had gone on BYC before I got them because then I would have bought them from a breeder but we LOVE, LOVE them regardless. I laughed out loud LareePQG about the "young grasshopper"...that's EXACTLY how I feel....so impatient. Like a new mom, wanted the babies to grow up and now wishing my 12 year old was 6 months again!! [​IMG]

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Soon all of those feather capsules on her head will open up an fluff out!! Give it about 2 or so weeks!

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Mine just turned 4 weeks, and I am enjoying the "pin head" look! These are some funny little guys that go through all kinds of changes, just like kids growing up. Here is Kramer!

[​IMG]

8. kfisher123

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    I LOVE Kramer!! Great name too!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by