When do Silkies mature?

6chick*start

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
NE OKlahoma
I got a pair of Silkies a few weeks ago. They are about 16 weeks I think.
When does a Silkie typically start laying?
When will the roo start crowing?
And what will that crow sound like? I can't imagine these little guys crow like a 'regular' roo.

I've been told they crow in Chinese, but I don't speak Chinese, so I wouldn't know for sure.
lol.png

We have two silkies (seen here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565668 ) they are 16 & 17 weeks (maybe 17/18 now). They still have their baby voices... peeping most of the time. The only time they have adult voices is when the fat girl brigade gets after them. Then they cluck like mad.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I also don't think there is a specific answer. I think silkies will lay like everyone else--around 20 weeks +/- 4 weeks.

6chick*start :

I got a pair of Silkies a few weeks ago. They are about 16 weeks I think.
When does a Silkie typically start laying?
When will the roo start crowing?
And what will that crow sound like? I can't imagine these little guys crow like a 'regular' roo.

They have a semi regular crow, the hens dont start to lay until theyre about 6 months old from what ive read.​

My pullets usually start laying around 8 months or so, but I have a slower developing line. My roos usually crow around 6 months, but I have some that wait longer if they are not an alpha roo. Their crow is pretty much like a regular standard breed's crow. Mine all sound a tad different, but most are pretty deep. None are shill like a leghorn, but they are not super quiet either at dusk/dawn
roll.png

Thank you and one more newbie question.
I have 2 RIR and 3 Black S-L, all big girls laying every day for 3 weeks now.
When he's mature, silly question coming ... will this little Silkie dude successfully mount my big girls?

6chick*start :

Thank you and one more newbie question.
I have 2 RIR and 3 Black S-L, all big girls laying every day for 3 weeks now.
When he's mature, silly question coming ... will this little Silkie dude successfully mount my big girls?

Yep. I have fertile eggs out of my EE, RIR and productions...and only one roo here. A bantam (MF d'uccle).​

I have 5 whites that are 6 months old, 3 roosters and 2 hens, I have had 1 rooster crow, and no eggs yet. I have 3 blacks that are 6 months old I had 4 but one disappeared and no evidence of fowl play still wondering about that one. But my 3 blacks are the same age but about half the size of my whites. So are the blacks smaller than the whites, this is my first time with the blacks.

the cockerels crow at different ages depending on their statis I think...lol...have had one crow at 3 weeks and another that didn't crow till he was
about 8 months.
And when they first start to crow it sounds like someone stuck a kazoo up their behind.
Now pullets I've had them start laying at 5 months and right now I'm still waiting on a Splash pullet to lay and she's about 8 months.
Come on Domino! dang girl your new boyfriend will be grown before you lay....sighs

Suz...at Varner Lane Fancies

Back
Top Bottom