When Do Silkies Start Laying

slkyldy4evr

Chirping
Dec 29, 2016
America
So I have 7 silkies, there is supposed to be a boy and 6 girls, they turned 18 weeks old today and the rooster has been crowing for a few weeks, I'm wondering when they should start laying, I know there is no exact time but any ideas on when they might start :) ?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC. I'd guess it varies as much with any other breed. Once they begin submissive squatting for you, you know that its not too long to wait. There's a silkie thread you may wish to check out - the search box will help you.

Best wishes
CT

Hello and welcome to BYC. I'd guess it varies as much with any other breed. Once they begin submissive squatting for you, you know that its not too long to wait. There's a silkie thread you may wish to check out - the search box will help you.

Best wishes
CT

Thank you, is there a way to tell that doesn't involve me petting them because it's hard for me to get a hold of them.

Last edited:
You can post on the "Silkie thread," just put that in the search box and it will come up. You can also post photos of your birds to make sure you only have one cockerel. Post at "what breed or gender is this." Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Also if there is an alpha roo, others may not crow in his presence, because they would be subject of attack.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us...waiting for that 1st egg can seem to take forever, but it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom