When Do Silkies Start Laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slkyldy4evr, Jan 11, 2017.

1. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    So I have 7 silkies, there is supposed to be a boy and 6 girls, they turned 18 weeks old today and the rooster has been crowing for a few weeks, I'm wondering when they should start laying, I know there is no exact time but any ideas on when they might start :) ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I'd guess it varies as much with any other breed. Once they begin submissive squatting for you, you know that its not too long to wait. There's a silkie thread you may wish to check out - the search box will help you.

Best wishes
    CT

3. slkyldy4evr

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Thank you, is there a way to tell that doesn't involve me petting them because it's hard for me to get a hold of them.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Submissive squatting does not involve / need any contact with the birds. It can happen when you approach them. At the end of the day, they will lay when they are good and ready - frustrating, I know.

ETA: here's the link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. slkyldy4evr

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Okay thanks :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post on the "Silkie thread," just put that in the search box and it will come up. You can also post photos of your birds to make sure you only have one cockerel. Post at "what breed or gender is this." Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Also if there is an alpha roo, others may not crow in his presence, because they would be subject of attack.

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us...waiting for that 1st egg can seem to take forever, but it will happen.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your silkies! [​IMG]

9. slkyldy4evr

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Thanks you all! I think one will begin soon! I'm so excited!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by