When do the babies "leave the nest"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Hey, there. What age do babies and mamas usually go their own way? Meaning....when do the babies leave and mama doesn't watch out for them anymore?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    One of my momma ducks is just now ignoring her "babies". They are about 2months old. I had another mom who kept ditching her kids at 3 weeks. So now all her kids are in their own pen and she is back out with the flock. Once the babies no longer need mom for heat they can be on their own, it's just that some ducks are much better mothers than others.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    ThatÂ’s a good question, but I took my babies away from the mom when they were almost full grown and the hen was still really protective, maybe it depends on the hen also I hear that some are more devoted long term mothers then others.

4. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    These are just your basic mallard. The babies are just starting to get their feathers and I want to find a new home for them, and am feeling bad already for even THINKING of taking her babies.

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I have babies that are 10 weeks now, and they have just started "going their own way" so to speak. They still don't go too far from Mom, and they still opt to sleep together at night. However, I have seen the independence finally and she seems less protective of them.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends upon the hen. Some wean their ducklings early and start another clutch. Others mother them into the fall molt. Wide variation by individual and breed. In my experience mallards tend to 'mother' their ducklings longer than domesticated breeds.

7. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Crap!!! So can I take them away once they get their feathers???? Is that mean?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Taking them away would not be mean as long as the hen has other flockmates. Hanging around with mom is sort of a throwback to the days when she showed the kids how and where to migrate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by