When do the chicks HAVE to come out of the bator?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryGirly, Mar 6, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I hatched 9 chicks this past weekend and 2 of them are still in the incubator. The reason they are still in there is because one has a slipped tendon and the other is a buddy for the injured one. Will being in the incubator this long hurt them? The humidity is around 84% in there because of their drinking water. They also have food in there and the temperature is 97* usually. I would have them in the brooder with the other chickies, but I'm afraid they'll hurt the injured chick. Is it okay for the 2 chicks to be in the bator this long (3 days for the injured chick and 2 days for the buddy so far)? I want to keep them in there 1-3 more days.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    NO it will not hurt them to stay in the bator longer if, you have feed and water for them. The humidity is a little high, can you lower it by propping the lid ad-jarred on one corner? Chicks that have leg or feet problems oftem need more vitamins. Here is a site that gives lots of great info for special needs chicks. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks! The only reason the humidity is so high is because they have water in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by