"When do the rabbits start laying, Gummie?"

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Miss Red, May 31, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Yesterday and today I bred my rabbits. I told my four year old nephew we were going to be having baby rabbits very soon. He quite calmy looked around, shrugged his shoulders, and asked where the eggs were. I told him there weren't any rabbit eggs. He looked shocked, then asked when she would lay some for us. I nearly died laughing.

"That's not funny Gummie. Where are the rabbits eggs? She's not sitting on them, is she?!?"

This coming from the same four year old who is very knowledgable on chickens. He knows the egg song and makes me go get the eggs, or him if he can reach them, as soon as he hears it. He also knows hens sitting on nests growling means babies are coming. He saw his first hatch yesterday and helped me move the babies from Mama so she would continue incubating the rest of the eggs. (Due wednesdayyyy)

He's such a fun kid. His parents don't know what they're missing out on sending him here all the time. Nope. Not the hair pulling want to something mean to him toddler type. I'm talking about all the fun things. I'm sure gonna miss him when he starts school this fall. [​IMG] No more helper during the day.

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    what a funny boy!

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    [​IMG] That is too cute!!!

4. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    awww [​IMG] Now I can't wait for my family to visit us this summer. He sounds like such a great helper!

5. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Heis a doll. Wakes me up at 6:30 every morning, asks if we can look for eggs, then watches TV until I let him go outside.

A few days agp he told the neighbor to take her baby home and come back to spend the night, please. (He LOVES her).

6. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I have another cute skylar moment for everyone. I wish I'd have had my phone ready to video... This morning his chicken went missing. We thought a cat got her and had a little funeral for the bird.

Went inside for a snack and to get out of the 90 degree weather for a bit, came back out and saw this tiny black figure running around scared out of its mind. Skylar screamed "Nancy!" And ran for her. I expected the frightened chick to run like everything to escape him. Whatd she do? Ran to him cheeping!

They collided in a mass of so happy to see each other. Did get a picture of them cuddling afterwords. She's now happily back in her box cheeping away at him, even jumped out again to be with him. I guess its time to take her out of solitary because she's no longer sick. Infact, looks 10000000 times better than when he rescued her from the turkey bin at the feed store. The meds and love helped.

Right now she's on his back while he's playing cars. The happy couple are back together. He was very upset she was gone... Guess I was wrong and shed just gone for a stroll!

Good girl Nancy. Keep it up and you'll never be in freezer camp and can live your happy days long after you stop laying.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Well, of course rabbits lay eggs. Cadbury goes to great lengths every spring to educate our children about this.

[​IMG]

8. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I'm planning on putting some hollowed out eggs in there right before she's due.

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Bless his little heart, that is so cute. Gotta love the little ones.[​IMG]

10. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    (I need to move this to family life ...)

Skylar cute-ness of the morning.

Sky slept in this morning, didn't get up until 7:30. I was relieved for that extra hour of sleep. We had to go rescue a few of the two weekers from the rain we've been having (I'd had them out because its been 90+ outside).
    Two of the chicks we're positively soaked. He tucked them into his shirt and carefully moved them to the broody hen, Hen 10. Hen 10 has been sitting for six weeks, and hatched some of these chicks.

He talked to her while he gently placed the chicks back under their "Mama" so they could warm back up. She cooed and cawed as she tucked the wet babies under her. He has been watching to make sure his chicks don't get attacked by her, telling her its all right and stroking her until she grew tired of him and pecked him as politelty as she could.
    Yesterday, Mamba attacked him viciously over her chicks. It didn't deter him in the slightest. Yes he cried, but he was fine and had not a scratch on him. He now talks to his hens with chicks when he goes by to make sure it doesn't happen again. Mamba spent the night in "jail" with her chicks as punishment for turning on him. She's back to letting us go near the chicks, but I'm not trusting him around her.

Still several weeks until Dippy has her kits, and he's still looking for rabbit eggs daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by