When do their heads change color?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SassyKat6181, Jul 16, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    They are somewhere between 13 & 14 weeks old and have their adult plumage and huge wattles, but no color on their heads. They are still a creamy pink color. Will their faces turn blue and wattles red? Or is it less noticeable in hatchery birds? Thanks

*edited to add: Also, are they full grown at this point?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are seven weeks old and are starting to get a scraggly look to their heads. They get the "guinea head" look at about 4 months.

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Very good question. My older ones have wittle wattles ..... But still stripey headed. One group is about 10 weeks and the other is about 3 weeks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    The less protein and greens that are in their diet, and the less direct sunlight the growing keets get, then the longer it takes them to get color in their wattles and on their bald little heads. I figured this out by having a very shaded grow-out pen late in the season last year, feeding just a grower feed and some occasional greens to a couple dozen pullets and cockerels I'd planned on selling later in the year (I never let them out to free range while I raised them). Took them a long time to "mature" and get all their color.

They can breed and lay eggs as early as 16 weeks old, but I personally don't consider my birds fullgrown until they are 6 months old (that's JMO tho). I only sell them as "adults" at that age (or older).

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    [​IMG] That would explain it. Their coop doesn't have a window, but I have a lamp on a timer. They've only just started going out to free range, and no matter what kind of veggies, fruits or treats I have tried giving them, they won't touch it. Hopefully with them going out now it will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by