When do they all just get along?

yakfishgirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
We started with two barred rock and one RIR. At 6 weeks old we moved the trio out to their coop and run. The RIR turned out to be a rooster so sadly, he had to go. It was just the two big girls. In the meantime, we got a Buff Orpington, a brown leghorn and a white leghorn chick. They are now 6 weeks old the two BR are 11 weeks old, older, but not yet laying hens. Still, they are being bullies! (I'd use another "b" word, but won't). The three young ones stay in the coop all day, with food and water, because the older ones chase them when they come out. When do they all just get along? What can we do to help these two groups become one?

I understand where you are coming from, i've been through it!! They are like bratty children!! How long have they been together?? They should be ok sooner or later, it took mine a couple of weeks.

Karen

The introduction was not exactly the best, frankly. You really cannot just throw chickens of differing ages and unknown to each other into a small area without a lot of stress. Older chickens exert their will on younger, smaller chickens.

Even if you follow a prolonged period of separated introduction, as in their being separated by a netting, whereby they can see each other, still, once put together there will be days of tussling. The strong nature of chicken societal structure is in play here.

They'll eventually work it out, but the little ones will find it tough, tough going for awhile.

Fred's Hens :

The introduction was not exactly the best, frankly. You really cannot just throw chickens of differing ages and unknown to each other into a small area without a lot of stress. Older chickens exert their will on younger, smaller chickens.

Even if you follow a prolonged period of separated introduction, as in their being separated by a netting, whereby they can see each other, still, once put together there will be days of tussling. The strong nature of chicken societal structure is in play here.

They'll eventually work it out, but the little ones will find it tough, tough going for awhile.

x2 Chicken behaviour is really difficult when two flocks are integrated. It takes time, patience, and a lot of restraint on your part not to seriously kick the bullies' butts!​

It doesn't help if they are confined to a run with nothing to do but bully one another. I've never had a flock that can't get along but then, I free ranged all my flocks and this gives them room to be apart, gives them something to do and helps them depend on one another for survival, thus forming a better social bond.

Could you free range them?

To some extent, we did introduce them gradually putting their large brooder cage in the 5x10 foot run. When we let the big kids out to range inthe afternoon, the youngsters checked outfield future home. They even slept in their brooder, placed in the coop at night. Still, it"s not easy being the new kids. The buff probably catches the most grief, but that's because she"s brave when it comes to food!
I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I did the same thing. I introduced new babies and they were bullied. Now the babies are as big or bigger than the old ladies but the old ladies still run the show. There is still fear. I read that there will be some respect when the younger ones come into lay. Which I hope the older ones let them use the nesting boxes for crying out loud. Read my story and tell me if it is not the same as yours...
D.gif

Mine always get along eventually even the roosters seem to work it out. But we do "free-range" them, I think the more room they have the better as well introducing them for a week or so 1st (coop in the chicken yard)

Back
Top Bottom