when do they crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sabrinainmiss, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    I bought 4 RIR juvinile the first part of May and was told they were about 16 weeks old. They told me there was 3 pullets 1 Roo, but now at20 - 22 weeks old one or two have started to lay and none crowing. I am not so sure they are all pullets. Shouldn't the supposed rooster be crowing by now?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Only one of my roos (the alpha) is crowing. The other two don't make a peep. Of course, they are only 13 weeks old.

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Also, at that age you should be able to clearly tell the difference between a cockerel and pullet. Much larger comb and wattles...

4. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Really, so some roosters never crow? There seems to be a little difference in their combs and wattles. I have several bantam roos that are about 6 weeks younger and they crow their little heads off. i am so confused on these RIR's.[​IMG]

5. rrrsmom

rrrsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    salt lake city, Ut
    I have the opposite problem. I'm supposed to have 8 hens. We are hearing what sounds like the practice of a crow. I'm going to post pictures of my hens. I hope you can tell me which one might be the rooster. 6 of them are 9 weeks and two of them are 5 weeks. Watch for a new thread....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Sabrinainmiss,
    Can you post pictures of them? At that age you should be able to look at them and see which on is the roo. I had a RIR roo, he died at 5 weeks, at that age I knew he was a roo due to a very large comb, wattles and very large legs compared to my 6 RIR pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by