1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they fly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thereverend, Sep 11, 2010.

1. thereverend

thereverend Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    At what age will they start to fly around.
    I need to know as i am going to hatch some eggs and would like to put them
    in my cellar but... I dont want to have to hunt them down all around and or have them
    fall in the well. So.. please let me know how long i can keep them in the cellar unconfined
    before they will fly around.

ALSO.

If i put them in the coop at 4 or 6 weeks will they be ok?
    or will the other ladies and roo's peck at them?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They'll fly over the 3' tall side of a brooder at around 3 or 4 days.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My chicks, red junglle fowl, dominiques and American games can fly to top of cattle waterer lip (~ 30 inches) at about 14 days but only do so when startled. By 21 days they can do it at will but return to waterer until about 28 d when they will be at risk for your concerns.

I am finding it best to not mix young birds with older members of flock confined to a coop until voice changes in former (~12 weeks). Gives more time for immune system and body temperature regulating ability to kick in as well, especially when chicks denied premium roosting sites and last to get at food.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

mine flew the brooder at about 1 week. ugh!

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Agreed.

I don't know how big your coop is, but you really shouldn't put them in with the big chickens until they are about the same size. If you have room in your coop, you could divide them off in one part so that everybody can see each other and then integrate them when they are bigger.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What type of chicks can fly up 3 feet in less than a week? My red jungle fowl and American games which as adults can fly quite well are not so precocious.

7. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I am new to chickens, and the chickens i have now are my first [​IMG] But at 2 weeks my ameracauna (sp) can already fly around and up at least two feet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by