When do they get their feathers in?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AZchickens17, Mar 14, 2017.

1. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a brood of 8 chicks and would like to know at what age can they be put in a coop?

Thanks[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How fast they can feather in depends on a few things. Breed, nutrition, and ambient brooder temp all play a part. If they have an unlimited amount of 18% to 20% protein content feed and the brooder is kept as cool as possible, with just a small warm zone, they can be feathered in and ready to go out in as little as 4 weeks.

3. AZchickens17

Ok. I only fill their feeder halfway at most to prevent them from spilling it everywhere, and then take it out at night and leave a small pile of the feed on the ground so that they aren't making a mess. We have been playing around with the lamp to get it at the right temperature, and I was able to lift it up a bit.

I have 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Australorp, 2 Sex Links, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Austra White. Out of those, which ones will get their feathers in first?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They should all feather in at about the same rate, Australorps might be a bit behind the others. The important thing about heat lamps is making sure that the brooder is large enough for the heat to dissipate. There should be at least a 20 degree difference between under the heat and the rest of the brooder. To keep the chicks from wasting feed, and to keep bedding material out of the water, try placing them on a plate or block of wood. Limiting feed is a very bad idea for young chicks.

5. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hello,
    A way to help chicks not throw food everywhere is to ferment it. This makes it wet and doesn't fly around everywhere.

Another way if you don't have the time to ferment is to soak it in warm water , even an hour will make it a cleaner meal, raise it up so they don't want to stand it it. ( they will always stand it in!!!)

6. AZchickens17

Ok. How would I raise it? I have a simple tank that I keep them in.

Also can they have oatmeal? I really want to do fun things with them, but they seem to not like a lot of stuff lol. I tried scrambled eggs and hanging a dixie cup from the top of their cage, but they didn't go for that. Any other ideas?

7. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    [​IMG]You can raise it up on a piece of wood,or a box . The fermented feed is like oatmeal.

Just remember their tummies are so little that the really need to be eating their feed mostly, if not only!! Some people hang a piece of lettuce or apple , they have to have grit if you do this .

Give them a piece of newspaper, the might scratch it and tear it up, a flat dish/ plate full of feed they'll dig and scratch in it , that's fun for them [​IMG].I give my chicks cat toys, the balls with a bell in it, a stuffed mouse.. you know the stuff at Walmart ?? A low cardboard box full of sand or dirt is a favourite!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    It depends on how big they are. I like to leave things at ground level for the first week because it's more important that they accomplish eating and drinking than the inherent mess. After that- a piece of a 2x4, a spare tile, a wood or metal coaster (that can't be picked at and swallowed like a paper coaster or cork). I go from spreading feed over a paper towel to the 'space ship' feeder without the jar.

Have you tried using your finger like a beak to show them how good eggs are to eat? If you you-tube hen feeding chicks, you'll see they peck around to show chicks what to eat. We can simulate that using a finger until they figure out it tastes good. And some chicks just won't go for some treats!

Treat wise- It depends on their age- there are threads that have good advise for what treats can be given when - which ones need grit first etc. When they're really little, it's important to stick with the chick starter and eggs - nutrient dense foods - because they can only eat a little teeny bit of whatever they put in their stomachs.

9. AZchickens17

Ok. My RIR is 1 week old and all my others are about 2 weeks old. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by