When do they molt? Why aren't my 6month Americaunas laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickDaze, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I am waiting ever so patiently for my hens and roo to molt, and they don't! We are having a surprisingly warm December, if that explains it, but I'm waiting on my Americaunas to start laying, and they are over six months now! Everyone else is laying, so did they start molting early?

2. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    mine are doing the same thing. its because of the shorter days. they will lay in the spring

3. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    They are usually around a year old for their first molt.

The shorter days are probably preventing them from laying.
    However, they may begin laying any day.

Do they free range? They may have a hidden nest. My friends hens had their hidden nest on the roof of her horse trailer!

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Depends on the line, of course, but purebred Ameraucanas aren't known for being early layers. I'm guessing that you actually have Easter Eggers, though, since you've used the spelling typical of hatcheries. They are a mixed bag of genetics which results in variable expectations for point of lay. Mine started at 23, 24, and 28 weeks.

5. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    My blk. Ameracuna didn't lay until she was 38 weeks!! My lav. Am hasn't laid yet and she's at 40 weeks. [​IMG]

6. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I was already suspicious about that EE thing since the only one that looked like the Wonderful Book of All Chicken Knowledge as I call it, was just that, one of five.

Thanks for the spring layer thing. (And the spelling thing was just me sounding it out.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by