When do they show signs

Michigan Transplant

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Marionville, MO
I ordered 12 black and white chicks back in Feb/March and then decided a month later I wanted a rooster (Wyandott). So far the male doesn't look any different from the females. I have him with three chicks I hatched a few days before I got him. His waddle and comb are not any bigger than the girls. Am wondering if I DID get a male or if they made a mistake and I got another female. Can anyone tell me when the males get their waddle and comb enough to distinguish him from the hens? THANKS!

By late August, at 7 months of age, the rooster in him, if he is a rooster, will show, big time. He'll walk upright, be taller, have thicker legs, saddle feathers, and most importantly, he'll crow. Once he starts, he'll never stop. He'll also get sexually frisky with the ladies.

Pictures would help an awful lot. But, nonetheless, soon enough, if he's a he, it will be obvious to all.

just when ya wanna roo lol you whine up with a hen
big_smile.png
...... but seriously it should be showing some differences when it gets 2 to 3 months

Quote:
Here are some pics of my SLW Roo for comparison. These are from 14 weeks of age. I did not keep him as I had too many rooster. He is being rehomed.
He wasn't crowing yet as two other roosters within the coop where already doing that. His behavior was definately rooster like with the other roos in coop. Confrontational and alot of jocking for position in the pecking order.

84645_2011_july_chicken_pics0019.jpg

84645_2011_july_chicken_pics0024.jpg

84645_2011_july_chicken_pics0041.jpg

50499_000_0936.jpg

50499_000_0934.jpg

The bottom picture is of my 5 and a half month old female and the other is of the 3 month old male (maybe). I just thought that since my other roosters showed male signs before now that the Wyandott would to. IS this a male or do you think I got a female again? THANKS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom