1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do they start clucking and quit peeping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by onthespot, May 4, 2008.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I was wondering if there is an average age that chicks start clucking instead of peeping, or if their "voice change" can be of help in telling the age of a chick.

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    My Cornishx Bobo stated cluckin about a week ago. The other 7 his age still cheep. He's about 6 weeks or so. I guess since they are designed to mature faster for meat purposes maybe that's why his voice changed first...dunno.

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I noticed mine would cluck instead of peep when I grabbed them at 5-6 weeks old. They still peep to each other to keep in contact when they are foraging. They are 7-8 weeks old.

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed the same thing just last night. When I picked one up, she clucked instead of peeped. They are 5-1/2 weeks old.

5. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Are mine just late bloomers then? I have 4 7week olds and they peep...much louder now, but no clucks...they started doing a whistling noise, sounds Soooo cute...and my rooster has not even attempted to crow? Sound normal for 7 just about going on 8?

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    The only time I notice the clucking is when they are very upset, like when I catch one and grab it. Otherwise I hear mostly peeping amongst themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by