When do they start dust bathing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FirewifeJess, Apr 15, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Most of my chicks are 2.5 weeks old and some are doing a strange flappy thing down in the bottom of the brooder, in the shavings. Right now there's no diatomaceous earth in there yet because they are in the house and the last thing I need is MORE dust on top of the horrendous mess they're already making. Is that what they are doing already or is it too early for that behavior? Within the next week they'll be moved out to the coop with the brooder lamp so I can get the 15 messy girls out of the house; at that point should I provide some DE for them to bathe in inside the coop along with the shavings? THanks!

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Chicks can start dustbathing from a very young age, we let our chicks outside for half-days when they were 2-3 weeks old... they got into dustbathing then and there. You can provide some sand for them to play around in if you don't want the dust in the house.

They'll really appreciate having something to dustbathe in inside the coop. Or you could also let them out in the garden in a run, but then they'll dig up the ground and eat all the grass, depends on whether you would mind that. :lol:

3. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by