1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they start laying eggs? Ours are 16 weeks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnibunny99, Jun 20, 2009.

1. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    4 Months old, 5 at the end of June...

Are they supposed to start laying soon? Or no..

And when they start laying i need to feed them layer pellets or mas or is there a difference?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    depends on the breed, some may start as early as 16 weeks (leghorns, sexlinks) or you may have a couple more months before you get your first eggs(larger breeds Jersey Giants/ Brahmas)

Once they start laying you should switch them over to Layer food, depending on what is available pellets/crumbles or mash

3. Me + Peeps

Me + Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    What breed are they? and im pretty sure there isn't much of a difference between mash and pellets, i think some people like to use pellets because the chickens have to eat the nutritional stuff as well as the tasty stuff.

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    My chickens hatched Feb. 11 th and i just got my first egg this morning. I have Lt. Brahamas, Buff Brahamas, Buff and White Cochins, and Black Langshans. They are all together so i don't know which of the ladies laid it. Any guesses? It is a tiny cute little tan/pink egg.

5. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    I am still waiting for most of my hens to start laying to. what i have learned is that they start laying typicaly around 5 - 6 months of age. It can also depend on the breed. Some may lay a little earlier than 5 - 6 months and some may lay a little later than that. You will just have to wait and see. I know... waiting games are not so fun sometimes LOL!!

6. babyriver

babyriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    N E Florida
    Still waiting for my girls to start to lay. Hatched out Feb 4 . I have sexlinks,barred rocks & ee.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I switch mine to layer pellets at 18-20 weeks because it's cheaper than starter feed and I'm a cheapskate [​IMG]

Pellets have the same ingredients as crumbles, crumbles are ground-up pellets. But pellets are easier for the chickens to pick up off the ground when they spill them, so there seems to be less wasted food.

Layer feed has extra calcium that laying hens need, but is too much for young chicks' kidneys to handle. The information on the feed bags says to begin feeding it to them at 18-20 weeks. If you have a super-layer who begins earlier, you could give it to her then. But most of the hens I've had begin laying at 20-24 weeks, usually closer to 22-24 weeks.

8. sunnibunny99

Mar 19, 2009
    [​IMG] Thanks everyone!!

There breeds are: (Bear with me,we have like soo many different kinds [​IMG] )

Silver Phoenix Bantam

(Mottled) Anacona

3 Ameraucauna's

4 Rhode Island Reds

Bantam cochin

Barred Rock

And two we dont know the breeds...

9. sunnibunny99

Mar 19, 2009
    Shameless bump

I do need to know

10. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I'm interested in the answer too so here's another shameless bump....

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by