When do they start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tigman, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Tigman

Tigman Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Longwood Florida
    One of my chickens has started "squatting" from what I've read on here. She'll squat & raise her wings a little. From your personal experience from having chickens, how long should I expect to see eggs ?[​IMG]

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Enlarged and bright red comb and wattles is one sign of approaching laying age (which she looks to have) and squatting is another. Average laying age is probably 6-9 months, sometimes a little sooner and sometimes a little later depending on the breed and the bird. Judging from the picture and the behavior, you can probably expect eggs any day now. Remember though, ultimately they lay when they're ready. And...[​IMG]!

1 person likes this.
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agreed,They will also start checking out the nesting boxes she might get territorial over them too,Before lay they will have a moist pink vent area.There Pubic bones will begin to separate as they will need space to squeeze out egg

4. SeismicWave9

SeismicWave9 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    I have the same chicken as you and she just started doing this the other day when I would pet her. Today she laid her 1st egg and she is 21 wks old. You should be getting your first egg any day!

5. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Two of my chickens have been doing this for two weeks- and nothing yet. I've had chickens for almost ten years and never had them go this long from squatting to egg. I'm going crazy!! ;)

6. Tigman

Tigman Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Longwood Florida
    Update. Cajun gave me her first egg today. She was the one in the original picture. My other two girls, Lulu and Esther won't let me touch them yet. Unless it's bed time & they're on their stoops already. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Every 1st egg is AMAZING:) Our girls get out of nesting boxes and wait for us to give them pets and special attention after they lay, it's hilarious.

8. Tigman

Tigman Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Longwood Florida
    From what they told us at the feed store. They're called production reds.

9. AnnieSantiago

AnnieSantiago Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    So she layed the very next day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by