When do they start laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hamptons06, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I have 6 pullets that are just about 20w old. 2 RIRs, 2 LBs and 2 BOs..... about when should I expect them to start laying? [​IMG] Also.... how many nesting boxes should I have for 8 pullets/hens?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Probably soon? But people post that some of theirs take another month. I'm pretty sure I read that up to 4 will share a nesting box, so you would need at a minimum, two. Mine are at 17 weeks and I'm already getting excited about eggs. [​IMG]

3. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Yay Chicks! :

Probably soon? But people post that some of theirs take another month. I'm pretty sure I read that up to 4 will share a nesting box, so you would need at a minimum, two. Mine are at 17 weeks and I'm already getting excited about eggs. [​IMG]

I have 2 older hens that are almost 2yo and I get eggs daily from them (RIR and BO).... but I don't know what we'd do with so many eggs. [​IMG] The funny thing is, when we got them at the feed store, I thought for sure at least 1 or 2 would be roos... but all 6 ended up being pullets. [​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Our Barred and Buff Rocks are 18 wks today. My wife is in and out of the coop so much she will turn into a chicken. I keep trying to tell her leave 'em be for a couple more wks. She gets out of sorts when I call them welfare chickens. I am actually thinking they'll start the end of Aug. 22 23 wks. The coup de gra will be when I stroll in the house with the first egg.[​IMG]

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I've had them lay as early as 18 weeks and as late as ... well, never. There was one hen who had an impromptu date with destiny at 36 weeks and never did lay an egg. They lay in their own time, on their own schedule.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    if there combs and wattles are red they are close to laying. We got our first egg yesterday you need around 3 or 4 nest boxes they will find the ones they like best. hope they dont keep you waiting to long!

7. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I was JUST telling my DH's gpa today about their facial features turning red meaning that they are close. Glad that was a fact. [​IMG] I was noticing that 4 of the 6 are very red. One was making some clucking sounds in the coop today.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:I was JUST telling my DH's gpa today about their facial features turning red meaning that they are close. Glad that was a fact. [​IMG] I was noticing that 4 of the 6 are very red. One was making some clucking sounds in the coop today.

you are definitly criticly close to your first egg.. The red comb and wattles were the only sign we had, no sqauting no egg song or anything . Just checked and checked and all the sudden an egg yipee!! No doubt you are close!!

9. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I got my first egg at 17.5 weeks yesterday from my barred rock named Frack, her sister Frick is very close. I have one BO named Pepper that is very close & possibly one of the Wyandottes. Otherwise the others seem no where near ready to lay.

10. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    [​IMG] I was just going to do a search about red/pale wattles! Only one of mine has turned really red.
    So I guess she is just ahead of the pack? I can stalk her without feeling silly? [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by