1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prisserbabe, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Hi i was just wondering at what age do hens start laying? I am just so excited for my first egg [​IMG] hope its a cutey:ya

2. mimischickies

mimischickies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I am new at this and do not have my first egg yet...but, i have been told between 5 - 6 months. My chicks were hatched at the end of April and 1st of May, so I have a little time to wait still. I have a RIR, 2-EE'S, BA & BR. Hope this helps.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Start looking at around 20 weeks. When the comb and wattle start turning bright red eggs are on the way!! [​IMG]

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Depends on the breed. [​IMG] Some start at around 5-6 months, but a few large breeds are closer to a 9-12 months.

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    The chicks I hatched 2/24 just layed their first egg this morning, 20 weeks to the day. But several of the pullets from this batch have a way to go before laying....pale combs and no squats yet.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Depending on the breed, between 18-24 weeks is a good range. There are some "early risers" and some "late bloomers" Always fun to check those boxes...

Quote:

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Ok thank you everyone all your answers have been helpful! i cant wait to go in the coop and find a egg!

8. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    My EE layed at 20 weeks on the day. I have a SLW that is 23 weeks today and just laid her first today. (Apparently they like to lay on their birthdays... LOL).

Good luck, it's sooo much fun to find that first egg!

9. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    16 & 17 weeks for 2 of our amberlinks. The golden comets are starting to do the squat but no eggs, and the largest of the GCs has not gotten her comb and wattles to fully grow in at 17 weeks. Same with one of our amberlinks. They all are he same age so I guess they run on their own schedule of maturity.

10. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Quote:I agree I had a leghorn start at 6 months but had a Silver Laced Wyandotte start when she was a year old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by