1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they start to fly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RIgirl, Apr 17, 2009.

1. RIgirl

RIgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Just wondering. I have them inside right now, in a plastic tub without a top, and so one of these days I know they'll escape. Perhaps I should move them to the hutch in the garage before that happens, but climate control there is not as easy.

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Mine started trying to fly at 1 week. I don't know about successful flying, though.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd put a chickenwire top on that tub now. They learn to fly (enough to go over the wall anyhow) very early and *suddenly*, and you don't want to find out when the hard way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    Put something on the top!! Mine are dive bombing each other at 2 weeks. Too cute!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I agree with chickenfeet. I have four Ninja Orpington chicks who come sailing toward me every time I open the brooder door!

Good luck with your chicks!

6. RIgirl

RIgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    I found the perfect brooder cover!
    [​IMG]

A lace curtain. only the finest for my girls!

7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

When do they learn to fly , you ask?? TOO SOON!!!! Cover that brooder fast!!! [​IMG]

8. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I use plastic/nylon window screen. It's cheap. Sometimes I use our screens out of the windows. I don't think dh likes it too much.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A piece of chicken wire covers well..... [​IMG]

I have two 4 wk. old biddies that managed to fly up and roost with the big gals tonight and the roosts are about 5 ft. high. I didn't expect that, but I guess they wanted to sleep next to mama!

10. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    My 1 week old chicks are actually getting air! Enough air to almost get them out of my 18 inch high cardboard box!!![​IMG]:celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by