When do they stop laying "pullet" eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NevadaRon, Sep 8, 2010.

1. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    My chickens just started laying about 3 days ago! [​IMG] So far, all but one of the eggs have been small "pullet" eggs. What I'm wondering is - how long before they start laying regular sized eggs? [​IMG]

2. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    They just gradually get bigger. Probably in a month you'll be surprised at how big they've gotten

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Usually after three months of laying they are as large as they will get.

4. Congats!!!

Yesterday was our BIG DAY. 2 of our 9 hens laid their first egg yesterdat. Today one of the same hens laid another egg and it was noticeably bigger (although still very small for a red sex link) and slightly different coloration. We watched her lay em. Give em a month and you'll see the difference.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They gradually get bigger. Takes about a month or so for them to start laying "full size" eggs, but they really never seem stop getting bigger it just slows down considerably by about 3 months. My oldest hens usually lay the biggest eggs though.
    Also some breeds just lay bigger eggs than others (Buff Orpingtons and Leghorns come to mind)

6. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:They sure will get big

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Mine have been laying for 2 months now. They aren't as small as they started out, but they are still the size of a large store-bought egg if not a little smaller. I figured I would be getting huge eggs now but not really.

8. NevadaRon

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:Thank you!

Quote:Well congratulations to you, too! [​IMG] I have 4 red sex links and I'm sure they are the ones that have been laying. The others are RIRs (4) and black sex links (2). One of the first eggs, which was unfortunately broken [​IMG], was a double-yolker.

9. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    Enjoy your little eggs! My new girls just started laying, and I have a dozen little eggs in the back of the fridge that I am going to make bite sized deviled eggs out of!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. NevadaRon

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Ooohh, that sounds like a great idea! [​IMG] I've been scrambling them, since they were too small for frying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by