1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they stop laying with the limited daylight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zigmont, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    My hens are still laying every day. When do they stop? It's less than a month from the shortest day of the year. Should we put a light in before they stop laying? Might they keep laying if they are still laying without a light?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think it's good for them to take a break during the winter. I've been told by breeders in my area that is essential for them to take a break during the cold weather so they can get ready for the upcoming breeding season. You want your hens to last as long as possible, right? They will lay longer if they take winters off. Of course they will still give you the occasional egg, but not every day like we are used to. I don't have any lights after 4:30 and two are still laying every day.

Pullets sometimes will lay through their first winter without any additional light.

Hope this helps. [​IMG] It's all a personal choice. If you want them to keep laying, add the light in the morning instead of at night. They get shocked if the light goes out suddenly before they can find a place to roost.

3. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Quote:Hi Aoxa, thank you very much. That makes sense and I think my flock of years ago did lay thei first winter. They will get the break they need!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Hi Aoxa, thank you very much. That makes sense and I think my flock of years ago did lay thei first winter. They will get the break they need!

No problem! Glad you decided to give them a break and have a natural winter instead of feeding them light [​IMG] In my opinion it is the right thing to do.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'd be happy if I got one egg right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by