When do they stop needing the heat lamp

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by latb611, Mar 7, 2014.

1. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    My ducks are 2 1/2 weeks old and they are in a broader with just the two of them but they seem to be settling down away from the little bit of light they have. We keep our home at 74-76 degrees. When will they stop needing the light?

2. I would recommend clicking on the learning center then click on raising chicks/ ducklings. This should give you the answer to this and many more questions.

Wish ya the best.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Rule of thumb is 90˚F the first week, drop 5 degrees a week till the brooder is the same as the rest of their world.

so, at 2.5 weeks, that's 90 minus (2.5 times 5) is 90 minus 12.5, is 77.5 degrees. They may be just about done needing the heat lamp as long as the house remains at 74 to 76 degrees. Do you term the thermostat down at night? If so, they may still need some heat at night for a couple of weeks. Otherwise, I think you may be done.

If they get bath - and I think it's good for them to have closely supervised bath time - no soap, just warm - 80 degree F - water up to the tops of their legs - then you might want to warm up the brooder to 80F for a little while after bath time to avoid chills.

1 person likes this.
  4. latb611

Feb 28, 2014
    Thanks! We don't change our thermostat and I have been allowing them some water play time every now and then lol.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to the Duck Forum!

So, who are the duckies? Are they a particular breed? Have their little personalities started to become more pronounced? Have they completely charmed you, mess and all?

6. latb611

Feb 28, 2014
    We are definitely charmed! I love watching them play in the water. We are pretty sure we have white Pekin ducks. We got them from TSC and they are straight run so the only name my kids have come up with since we don't know if they are boys or girls is Duckie Mo Mo. I haven't seen much for personality except that they are both goofy lol. [​IMG]
    This was taken a few days ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by