1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they stop peepin' and start cluckin'?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wolfpacker, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Mine are about seven weeks old. Still peep peep peep peep, although every now and then I hear a strange straining noise.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think it just really depends. It seems like my silkies peeped until they were 5-6 months old, but my 4 month old BLRW is starting to make hen noises. My 3 month old Buttercup is still making peep noises, but they sound more "mature" than her baby peeps were. [​IMG]

3. JFL1950

JFL1950 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Jacksonville, Texas
    my we must have quick learners one started in 5 weeks

4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Sounds like you need one of the "My Honor Chicken" bumperstickers.[​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have 10 week olds. My EE's are honking, my barred rocks are chirp/whistling/peeping, my RIRs are peep/clucking and my white leghorns are baby bok bok bagwking. I think it may be different for different breeds. [​IMG]

6. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I have 4 brown leggerns and 2 pro/reds that are 2 months old and the are bawking thier heads off. They started early compared to the last batch i raised..they didnt start till about 3 1/2 months.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Yes.....thats what mine are doing.......13 weeks today.

8. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My girls started clucking in earnest around 7 weeks old. They still don't cluck like big girls though.

9. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have cochins 2 hens are clucking at 12 weeks. My other 2 hens and the roo still peeping.

Marsha

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I posted the same question a while back and someone wrote in to say that 12 weeks is about average for the big-girl cluck to appear.

My Buff Orp girls are 10 weeks and still peep when they are going about their business (or shall I say "busy-ness"), but when they are alarmed by The Evil Rake or The Evil Shovel, they cluck loudly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by