When do they stop peeping?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MorahLaura, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MorahLaura

MorahLaura In the Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Westerm Mass.
    I have nine chickens, and I call them chickens only because they're huge and look like, well, chickens. But they still only peep, mostly. They'll squawk if they're fighting over a goodie but the predominant sound is chicky peeping. When will I start hearing clucking, cock-a-doodling, and other chickeny sounds?

They hatched around the first week of June. I have 4 leghorns (one is a girl; the rest look decidedly roostery), 2 golden comet hens, 2 SL Wynadotte hens (supposedly sexed), and an americauna named Betty who we're hoping is female but since s/he is the only one of that kind I can't really tell.

Thanks!

2. angelb

angelb In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I have a mix of different kinds that hatched the second week of June so they're just a week older than yours. Some of them are starting to sound like real chickens and some of them still only peep. This is my first time keeping chickens but I'm guessing yours are close to making grown up sounds [​IMG]

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Mine have just stopped peeping and they are approximately 16 weeks...they are big girls and they were still peeping. So cute! But now they have progresed to a cluck like the other older girls. How old are yours?

4. MorahLaura

MorahLaura In the Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Westerm Mass.
    I calculate that mine are not quite 10 weeks old. A couple more months of peeping I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: