1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do they stop using the heating pad?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahMcChicken, May 17, 2016.

1. SarahMcChicken

SarahMcChicken New Egg

May 17, 2016
    This is my first time raising chicks and I'm using the mama heating pad method. Love it! However, my chicks are now 3 weeks old and the largest one (a black cornish) screams at night that she is cold and I have to turn up the pad to the highest setting again (I turn it down a couple notches during the day) before she quiets down. They no longer get under but all like to lay on top of it at night. I'm in Arizona and I don't have the air conditioning on yet- but it's around 80 degrees here in the house. They are also in the house. At what point do they start weening themselves off of the heating pad? I thought the heating pad would be down a few notches by now. Or do I just have some super spoiled chickens? lol

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    80F should be more than warm enough for 3 week old chicks. Perhaps raise the blanket so they can fit under it again.
    You can set it up on wood or bricks so they have more space.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They probably no longer need the heat at all. I'd remove the pad cave entirely and replace it with a cardboard 'huddle box'. She may be objecting to no longer feeling the security of the cave, rather than the temperature.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That plus lights out time usually have them complaining for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by