when do toms get boyish? edited with pics

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by KellyandKatie, Nov 28, 2009.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I got two very pretty birds today from the nicest family. Royal Palms, and one might be a royal balm mix, not sure. The lady told me that the mix was a tom. He does not have a beard, or gooble, or display ( but he had been living with several other toms too who were very boyish and strutty, so maybe he is just not dominant?) but there is nothing about how he looks in my untrained eye that is saying tom. What should I be looking for to tell the difference?

okay here are some pics
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    how old is he??

my june hatched jakes are just ridiculous right now... for the longest time they would only display when our head tom turned his back. it was very funny....

good luck!

3. KellyandKatie

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Okay the one on the left is the palm royal hen and the one on the right she said may be a mix because of his coloring, and a tom
    for my untrained eye- the only difference I can tell is their coloring

4. paulinaydern

paulinaydern Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Here are some photos of our Big Guy when he was little, although in his mind he was never little! He started to display his handsome self from the get go.

[​IMG]

Then....

[​IMG]

...and now! (6 mo. old)

[​IMG]

5. KellyandKatie

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    oh wow- he is stunning- and sooo sooo stinkin cute as a little guy struttin! What a cutie- I mean, big and impressive, uber-studdly turkey

What kind is he?
    I am looking to get two more turkeys to call it a flock, not sure what kind yet though(looking for friendly birds that cohabitat with other birds and children well)

6. paulinaydern

paulinaydern Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    They are Bronze Breasted birds. They were my Mother's day presents. We ordered them from Farm Supply, and brought them home at 2 days old.

They have been with us since day one, under the heat lamp in the den till they outgrew it. They moved outside at that point to an old rabbit coup. We still brought them inside, but with major towel-ige at hand. They rode around in our the pockets of our sweatshirts and in the hoods. They would snuggle under my hair, on a baby towel of course.

[​IMG]

As they got bigger they still hung out while I worked on my computer, the towels just got bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As they got bigger we let them free range the front yard, putting them away at night or when we'd leave the house. If they saw the front door open they would sneak in to hang out with Gracie, our African Grey. She had to show them who's boss a few times, but they could care less.

[​IMG]

As teenagers they finally learned to stay outside the door....

[​IMG]

But every once and a while we hear the skritch scratch of claws sneaking past the threshold.

[​IMG]

Our turkeys are both super friendly. We live on a dead end street next to a public walkway to the Elfin Forest. We get passers by who can't believe what they are seeing. The turkeys love the attention and walk up to people for a pat on the head or back. They also are kind to children, although with the littlest ones I suggest to the parents to keep them at a safe distance as the hen will peck at shiny things, shoe laces and wiggling fingers. Big Guy is too busy showing off to notice anything going on.

I took them to school for sharing. The children loved them as did the turkeys love the attention. The female chirted until the next class would come to visit. At that point Big Guy displayed all his glory and Girl preened her feathers and made happy sounds.

[​IMG]

They come when we call them. They are our two legged dogs with feathers.

[​IMG]

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I love our turks and their attitude about life. When I read your last message I had to reply. I don't know if I would do it again with this breed as they are growing too quickly even though we ration their feed, they free range and get plenty of exercise. Some day their legs aren't going to be able to support them. I wish I knew that prior to ordering them as I wish they could be around for a long time.

P.

7. KellyandKatie

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    oh my goodness, thank you for sharing! What beautiful birds! I did not know that bronzes had issues with their legs as well. From the looks of the teenage picture- I can not tell who is Big Guy and who is your hen- maybe a little more waddles?
    I am hoping these guys will enjoy our family and decide to stay with us. I had tried chocolates and blue slates, and may try those breeds again, I assume all heritage breeds are okay for longevity and no leg issues or weight issues. I need to do more research before I finalize what other turkeys I will add.
    Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it- great pictures!

8. KellyandKatie

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Okay, I guess my turkeys are about three or four months old

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Paulina,
    I LOVE your photo essay on your two birds!!! Those are awesome photos and they show how much turkeys and humans can interact and be companions. No one who sees those photos will ever think that turkeys are unintelligent. You should put all the same pics on a thread (that we can sticky) that is titled: "Everyone Loves a Turkey!"

One question -- how did you keep your house clean when they spent so much time looking at the computer, sitting on the bookshelp, roosting on your shoulder, etc.?

People would be AMAZED to see these pics!
    [​IMG]

10. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    wow oh wow!! GREAT pics!!!! totally agree with chicken annie!!!!! fantastic story/pics!

some of our little ones are struttin.. its hilarious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by