When do Turkey toms get there big tail feathers and start strutting?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by halecards, Jun 25, 2011.

1. halecards

halecards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    How old are they when they do that?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Dunno their sex yet, but my turkey poults began strutting at two weeks old! I was told even young hens do it from time to time. So, if yours are like mine, they can start early!

3. halecards

Apr 17, 2011
    Oh. I was just wondering because I'm going to get some royal palms that are 5 weeks old

4. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    A few weeks ago, we had 3 turkey poults in a brooder here in the house. One of them, at less than 1 week old, was pushing his chest out, bumping up against the other one and sticking what little tail feathers he had up! He was even lowering his wings!!!!! It was the cutest thing!! I shouldn't have sold him so I could have marked him just for fun to see if he'd turn out to be a male! Oh well...

5. halecards

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:Haha!! That's funny!! I'm thinking about getting a pair of royal palms. How old are turkeys usually when they are grown full size? Are they like chickens?

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    A few weeks ago, we had 3 turkey poults in a brooder here in the house. One of them, at less than 1 week old, was pushing his chest out, bumping up against the other one and sticking what little tail feathers he had up! He was even lowering his wings!!!!! It was the cutest thing!! I shouldn't have sold him so I could have marked him just for fun to see if he'd turn out to be a male! Oh well...

My 3 week old BBW looked like a teeny, tiny Tom! SO cute and funny too!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by