When do we need to move chicks to coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RB3M Livestock, Apr 15, 2012.

1. RB3M Livestock

RB3M Livestock New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Bloomingdale, IN
    We just got our first chicks two days ago, but we were wondering when we needed to transfer them to a coop. We plan on keeping them in a temporary coop until later this summer. We are going to build a nicer, permanent coop when we finish our other barns. We have 21 Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks and 5 Brown Leghorn chicks. We've heard that some hens will share nests. Is that true? And how many do we need? We're new to this and would greatly appreciate the input!

Thanks,
    RB3M Livestock

2. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    First I am in Alabama and its quite warm here now. I kept my babies inside about 2 weeks with a heat lamp on them. Then My father and I built a second temporary coop which I have outside with the heat lamp inside The whole coop is situated under a covered shed that has open sides. That is usually sufficient unless it is really cold. It was one night and we covered the coop for the night. This coop is about 2 feet tall and 8 foot long. We are getting ready to build the chicken pen which will have the covered roost and hen nests inside. I think the babies will be into the permanent pen within the next few weeks.

3. RB3M Livestock

RB3M Livestock New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Bloomingdale, IN
    Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

4. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX

For nests, about 3-5 hens will share a nest. I have 8 nests which is way too many for my 15 hens that are already laying but I do have 8 pullets that will being laying around August. Even with 23 hens I will still have plenty of nests. There are days I go to collect eggs and 8 will be in one nest. So if you have 26 hens, you could provide 6 - 8 nests and they should have plenty. Better to have too many than not enough, and you never know when chicken math will strike [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by