When do we stop medicated crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by donnanadtom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. donnanadtom

donnanadtom New Egg

May 30, 2010
    When do we stop medicated crumbles, our hens are 5 weeks old? How long should they eat the "growth" feed before we start the "laying feed"? How old are Rhode Island Reds when they start laying eggs?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I keep on feeding the medicated starter until it was gone... it didnt hurt anyone.. they were on it till they were about 16 weeks

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If you're running out of medicated feed when the chicks are around 8 wks old, just change to grower/finisher or all purpose, FlockRaiser type feed then. If you have plenty, just feed it until you run out, then buy the grower/finisher type. Don't start layer feed until they actually lay... or NO SOONER than 18-20 weeks if they aren't laying yet. Again, if they're around 19 weeks and you're out of grower feed, buy layer. If you still have grower until they are laying, no biggie.

I don't even use layer feed any more, I give them all purpose feed (similar to FlockRaiser) and provide oyster shell free choice. I have several ages of chickens, and I didn't want to have to deal with keeping different types of feed, and trying to segregate the younger birds from the layer feed.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by