When do wild/feral geese usually lay?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by desertdarlene, Jan 18, 2011.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Is the breeding season for wild geese similar to ducks? I was just wondering when two of the feral ones might lay if they are, indeed, a pair. They are getting more aggressive. Today, they tried to attack someone in a canoe and they've gotten way more hissy with me, especially the one that looks to be an embden (but could be a white pomeranian as he/she has a little gray on his/her head, but that could be dirt).

One funny thing, though, I do a special whistle to let the birds know I'm there (so I don't startle them) and those two geese start to come my way when I do that, but so do some of the ducks.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Where you live, it could be soon. Enhanced territoriality is a sure sign they are setting up a nest, or have one already. Up here it will be months before they think about it.

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    We have a lot of birds, in general, that are either beginning to breed or going to breed soon. The ducks are still in their "getting together/mating" role and should lay around March here.

These two geese, who were once sweeties (except for the gray one who has always been a little cranky) have turned into snarling, vicious monsters the last few weeks. The crankiness began in October and has slowly increased since. Then again, they've separated themselves from the main flock and are in an area where there are less eyes to watch out for people who might abuse them. Hopefully, people are leaving them alone. Perhaps we'll see some goslings this year, but I can't sex them, so I can't say if they're a pair. I've never seen goslings on the lake as most of the feral geese (and I think the Canadas, too) are ganders.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Even if they are a mated pair, if the area is very crowded (particularly with many males) they will be too stressed to lay eggs, or the eggs may never hatch due to having to get up too often to defend the nest or flee.

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I hope we see some goslings, then. [​IMG] They seem to like this one reedy/brushy area, but they also hang out right on the walking path. Problem is that this area is also home to a few of my favorite killdeer and ducks, too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by