1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Wyandottes start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FLA-girl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. FLA-girl

FLA-girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    I've heard it can take up to a year before they start, but it still feels weird when they appear full grown and don't lay. They're 9 months as of Nov 7.

2. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I got four Golden Laced Wyandottes as day-old chicks around May 15th, and they started laying almost exactly five months later. Their combs and wattles went through a very obvious transition from pink/peach to bright, bright red before they started.

Not sure if this is typical, as they're the first I've had, but that's how these girls developed.

This is when they were probably 3ish months old:

[​IMG]

And more recently (now that they're laying)- wattles are hard to see since she's facing away from the camera, but I think you can still sort of see how red they are...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My two Wyandottes started laying at about 4 1/2 months old. However, many Wyandottes (from what I've heard) will take longer, about six months. I'm not sure why yours haven't started laying yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by