When do Wyandottes start to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KayP, Jan 12, 2009.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    My GLW is 25 weeks and still nada. She's huge and her comb and wattle look mature. Her RIR and Red Star "sisters" have been showing her how it's done for a month!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Chickens will lay when they are darned ready to. I have 6 that are 20 weeks, so it will be any week now..... I hope. [​IMG]

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree, it "should" be any time. Due to the fact that it is winter, it is a good possibility that it may be delayed. My Wyandottes started laying within 1-2 weeks of the rest of my flock. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it will be sooner rather than later! [​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    When they want to. [​IMG] Should be soon for you, though. Are you sure she just doesn't have a secret stash?

5. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm onto the secret stash possibility... nothing that I could find. She does look like she's walking around with a secret though. She used to be so dominant but since her sisters started laying, she's much more retiring. Oh, Envirogirl, I love your story.

6. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    I have a 33 week old GLW and she still isn't laying! [​IMG]

7. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, CQ, at least I'm in good company. I may be in for a long wait. At least she's pretty and likes to cuddle. I showed her the nesting box again today. She pecked around a bit and promptly jumped out.

8. goddesses

goddesses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    Mine started at 26 weeks - actually 2 waited until 28 weeks. However, they ALL give me one egg a day - way overachievers.

Just be patient. We still find it thrilling to go out every day to collect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by