When do you clip their wings

LVVCHAP

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
PA
New to raising chickens and I am enjoying my 1-1/2 week old RIR's. They are already starting to fly around, not high but definately tryng. At what age should you clip their wings? Also, is there a feeder available that they will not poop in?

You dont have to clip their wings at all. I never do. Once they get some size on them, they wont be flying, at least most of them of the heavy breeds dont. Raise up the feeder to the height of their backs so they reach for the food. They'll poop in it less.

Last edited:
And if they do fly, it is usually about 2 inches off the ground or just up to a roost.
My RIR only do this when they see me coming with the food and are beating me to the coop to be first in line for food.

I would suggest not to clip their wings. How would they fly up on their roost? We have raised chickens for many years and we have never clipped any of their wings. If you have migrating ducks that you want to keep around I would clip their wings, but never a chicken. RIR are a very heavy breed. My rooster has a hard time getting to his roost with his wings. I am also still learning every day with mine. I hope I never know it all!!
smile.png

Thanks for the info, I guess I will just wait until I put them outside and see what happens.

Um, I think nothing is poop proof. I am a first time chicken person and man can those birds GO!

I thought I had read in another post not to clip wings too early because of something called blood feathers? I have a kids safety gate on top of my brooder, and if it comes off I make sure the dogs are outside incase someone starts flapping and flying around.

Quote:
My RIRs fly like a dream! One of my younger pullets flew over the fence today, so we are clipping tomorrow! I'd say its time to clip when they can fly out of their run.
big_smile.png
Mine are all heavy meat breeds.

All of my birds get one wing clipped, as it keeps them from roosting in the rafters and trees instead of in the coop on a roost. I once had a Leghorn rooster that roosted in the trees every night....well, every night until an owl got him.

Back
Top Bottom