When do you give up on eggs and throw them out of the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by twotmama, Mar 3, 2009.

1. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    I have a home made incubator with duck and goose eggs, but twice now the temperature has been at 108 and 104. The heating element I am sure is the problem the eggs seem to be developing, but I don't want to keep the eggs if they're damaged and the humidity has varied alot.When do I know if its not meant to be. Should I throw out the eggs and start over or do my babys stand a chance. I am just sick about it, but I got home from work and the heat was way to high what can I do? Any help would be life saving.

2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    do you have a probe in a water wiggler or a sealed dish of water? that will tell you the internal temp of the eggs. my bator temp right now is 104.4 and goes up higher but my probe in the water says 99.5 so the eggs are fine.
    If you dont have 1 i would still give them time. in nature if it is 100 outside and a mommy is sitting on the eggs i really dont think that the eggs are always 99.5. hope that helps and good luck with your babies:thumbsup

3. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    I have a humidity/ temp thermostat; no probe I cannot for the life of me find a water wiggler, my kids have had them, but now I need one I can't find one;I didn't know a sealed dish of water would work. How does that work exactly and thanks for the input I am getting so frustrated. I am so afraid I have ruined my whole batch working on a new bator, but I am afraid it'll be to late.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    the trouble is not your heating element, first off... it is your thermostat.. or where your thermostat is located in the bator..

If your eggs hae a chance to hatch, let them go.. If the chicks are deformed or sickly after they hatch, kill them..

I don't think you are going to have a problem other than having an early hatch, maybe..

5. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i just took a small glad snack contaner and filled it with water then stuck the probe in the water and snapped on the lid. it has worked really good. speaking of the therm. you might need to move it. i had moved mine a few times but with the prob in the water i know the egg temp and even if the temp is high i know my eggs are still safe. I also cant find a wiggler for the life of me:p

6. twotmama

Feb 4, 2009
    Thats a great idea I will try the bowl of water I would try anything at this point; but I don't think I could kill a baby deformed or not. I am building a new bator with fresh eggs and will see what the outcome will be; if its meant to be I guess they will hatch. Thanks for all the help!!!

7. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    no prob. and i dont think i could "kill" 1 either

8. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    I used a ziploc baggie filled with water and sealed shut, then wrapped that around the probe. It worked great! Although this morning it was damp on the outside, so I think somehow it was leaking. I just placed it out by itself, but think I'm going to do another water baggie.

Good luck!

9. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i didnt think about wraping a bag of water around the probe! that would be about the same as those hard to find wigglers:weee

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have babys still developing after having a 104.9 egg temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by