When do you go to layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Jul 22, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    When do you move pullets off of starter feed to layer feed? Do you wait until they are actually laying? Or sooner?

Thanks!

2. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    The usual rule is see an egg, switch feed and add oyster shell.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:x2 mine are 16 weeks, one is 18....just awaiting now!

4. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Quote:I was under the impression if you switch to layer feed (I've read at 18 weeks or the first egg, whichever is sooner), then oyster shell is not needed. The layer feed already has the added calcium. Oyster Shell is only needed if you are feed grower, flock raiser or similar.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I switch when they are around 18 weeks old or so, whether they've started laying or not since at that age it's going to happen soon. Especially if you see them getting red in the comb and face, they are pol. And also if I am getting to the last of the starter/grower I just make the switch.

I also always keep oyster shell available even though they are on layer feed and they do consume quite a bit of it. Haven't had a soft shelled egg yet.

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Having free-choice oyster shell doesn't hurt. They may not get enough calcium from their pellets if they have access to grass, veggies, etc. Mine are on layer pellets, but still eat quite a bit of oyster shell.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I switched mine over to the layer crumbles when they were about 18 weeks old just because that's when I happened to run out of the starter crumbles.

I also offer oyster shells that they nibble at on occasion.

[​IMG]

8. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    My girls are are almost 17 weeks old, I am over half way through a bag of grower and I plan on getting a bag of layer next week for them. They are not laying yet, but should be soon [​IMG]

9. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    South Central Ohio
    Quote:Purina bags say at 18 weeks. And don't feed Starter or grower if it's medicated and they are getting ready to lay. Don't use the first eggs if they are on medicated unless you like medicine too.

10. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    Raked the sand bottom coop today and there were 2 soft shelled eggs in the feathers and poop. Missed one day of raking! So those were their first eggs!![​IMG] The eggs were white and all of the hens are supposed to be brown eggers...?? I am blaming the red sex-linked hen? Boy, they were all up in each others faces (all 4 girls) today. They are 16 weeks old now. So we threw out some scratch and they loved it. Will get some oyster shell on Monday. Any other suggestions? Using Layena layer feed.
    thanks
    Fluffy2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by