When do you harvest your heritage turkeys?

PioneerChicks

Longing for spring...
Premium Feather Member
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho
My Coop
I plan on getting some turkeys next year. I want to go for Bourbon Reds and White Hollands. The problem is the place I was planning on ordering them from only starts selling poults halfway through June. Do you think I could harvest a couple of the bigger ones for Thanksgiving dinner, or should I harvest them around December, or maybe even keep them for a whole year? When do you harvest yours?

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
I plan on getting some turkeys next year. I want to go for Bourbon Reds and White Hollands. The problem is the place I was planning on ordering them from only starts selling poults halfway through June. Do you think I could harvest a couple of the bigger ones for Thanksgiving dinner, or should I harvest them around December, or maybe even keep them for a whole year? When do you harvest yours?
I just processed a Sweetgrass jake that was hatched about June 15 of this year. It dressed out at 10 lb.s 11 oz. The ones that I did last year around 5 months old averaged 12 lbs. dressed weight.

You can process them at any age. The older they are, the more they will weigh.

Last edited:

PioneerChicks

Longing for spring...
Premium Feather Member
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho
My Coop
I just processed a Sweetgrass jake that was hatched about June 15 of this year. It dressed out a 10 lb.s 11 oz. The ones that I did last year around 5 months old averaged 12 lbs. dressed weight.

You can process them at any age. The older they are, the more they will weigh.
That is really helpful, thank you! A lot of people have been telling me "7 months minimum, a year is better" or "I don't do any under a year" and I know I don't really want to do that. Thank you so much!

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
That is really helpful, thank you! A lot of people have been telling me "7 months minimum, a year is better" or "I don't do any under a year" and I know I don't really want to do that. Thank you so much!
The people that I give these carcasses have been very happy with the taste and the quality of the meat. Since they are small families (2 people) they also appreciate the small size.

I appreciate the reduction in my feed bill.

unhitched

Chirping
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside, CA
I dont really keep to close of calendaring of my turkeys but I start incubating when they start laying, as I dont have them under lights. I personally find that it is hard to get a store bought sized bird by Thanksgiving. So I always keep a couple for more than a year just so when we have the whole family over we dont have to process 3 birds.

Top Bottom