when do you help on Day 22??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, May 11, 2010.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    We have a Brinsea Octagon 20 with 17 chick eggs
    We are on day 22 and have no pips or hatches yet, humidity and temp have been pretty good all the way through. a minor humidity change (55%) 1st day of lock down
    some of the eggs do seem to be moving a little.. what do we do??
    Wait?? Try to help???
    I do not want to open the incubator but I also do not want the chicks to be stuck in there or something and not be able to get out
    when we candled before lockdown, most of them looked great and we saw lots of movement...
    Any suggestions please!!
    I am doing this with my 2nd grade class. It would break their hearts to have no chicka
    Thanks

2. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    let nature take its cource did you candle said eggs at any time to make sure they were live eggs ? 22 seems long for chicken eggs as far as helping them out of the shell again let nature take its cource the chick pecks a hole in the egg as it is takeing in the yolk if this process is intrupted the chick will most likely die the chick needs to take in the yolk to survive untill it can eat and drink

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't help either, no matter what day they're on.

4. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Did you count the day you put them in as day 1? Technically, the NEXT day would be day 1. Your count just might be a day off.

5. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I would wait it out, being in Colorado it may have gotten a little cooler in the room, especially on weekends. I have had a late hatch by a couple of days, due to lower temps at times, and most have hatched fine, just late.

6. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Thanks, I guess we are off a day. I started my count the day we put them in so actually we must be on day 21 today. I hope I that I didn't mess up lockdown by starting the day we thought was day 18
    We see some eggs moving around a little so hopefully they are getting ready. It is hard to hear any peeping with the fan going
    We will wait a few more days and hope for the best
    Will keep you posted, any other suggestions are appreciated..
    Thanks

7. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Good luck, definitely keep posting. I did 3 hatches with my first graders this year. I'd love to share notes/lesson plans with you if you want to. PM me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by