When do you lock down Serama eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pitbullmomma, Feb 26, 2018.

1. pitbullmomma

pitbullmomma Free Ranging

First time hatcher here...I'm assuming it's earlier than normal since they have a shorter incubation time?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    IME the easiest way to know when to up humidity is by candling. Once you see them "draw down" you know they are getting close.

You can stop turning after two weeks (that goes for all chickens).

In any case, I usually assume my bantams will hatch around day 19 so as long as you have the turner off and humidity up by day 17 or 18 you're usually fine.

pitbullmomma likes this.
  3. pitbullmomma

But I thought you were supposed to lock down (in general) at 18 days? So I was thinking since Seramas hatch like two days earlier, I would lock them down at day 16 or so?

Thanks, I really appreciate the input, as this is my first time and of course I picked the hardest breed to incubate! :)

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Yes, people who practice "lockdown" stop turning and up the humidity three days before expected hatch. This is an easy to remember trend, not a crucial step. You can stop turning any time from 14 days on; some people never turn off the turner. As long as you up humidity when you see they have cracked the shell, you will be fine. The three day lockdown "rule" was created by people who are hands off and believe the incubator shouldn't be opened no matter what from 3 days before until everyone had hatched. Others (like me) know that as long as you maintain temp and humidity, "lockdown" isn't necessary. I've even forgotten to mark hatch dates in my calendar and forgotten I was supposed to have any hatch until I hear peeping lol

Edited for typos.

pitbullmomma and WVduckchick like this.
  5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Long story short, yes, you can start "lockdown" at day 16 if you want.

pitbullmomma likes this.
  6. pitbullmomma

Thank you Sun Hwa!!!! This is really excellent information and much appreciated. Since it's my first hatch AND it's Seramas, I'm so very paranoid about screwing it up! Reading all this makes me feel so much better. I'm going to lock them down at Day 16 and turn up the humidity then, I think.

Thanks so much! I really love this forum....full of helpful and generous people! :hugs

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    SunHwaKwon and pitbullmomma like this.
  8. pitbullmomma

I did at like 2 or 3 days for a few of them, lol (I couldn't help myself). Of course, I saw nothing. Today is Day 6 so I am going to try to keep myself from candling them until tomorrow! It's kinda killing me, this waiting game.

I suspect I will have more luck with my broody, as my incubator temps have been all over the place even though I'm checking it and tweaking the water constantly. I have another broody Silkie that I'm toying with the idea of slipping your two Sp/Fr Cochin eggs under so I just have all Seramas left in the 'bator. This is so much fun! :pop

WVduckchick likes this.
  9. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    When you first start watching it is hard to resist candling. Seeing the development is so amazing! You should be able to see development by now if you have a bright enough light and are cupping it right. I use a headlamp but cell phone lights work well too on lighter eggs. Just be really careful because it's a bad feeling when you drop one :(

Which incubator do you have? If you are "tweaking the water" constantly that may be what is making the temps fluctuate, especially if you are adding cool water, which then has to absorb some of the heat from the air to warm up. What are you aiming for, humidity wise, and what is the humidity like in your house?

10. pitbullmomma

Hi Sun, I just candled all my eggs and I correctly called 5 yolkers, one blood ring/scrambled tolker, and I mistakenly cracked open one that I thought was nonviable but actually was. It is amazingly awesome to see the little embryo floating around!

Oops, I meant my humidity readings were all over the place, not my temps. My house is pretty dry. I've been getting readings ranging from a low of 16 or 20 in the AM to a high of ~67 when I add 2 or 3 Tbs of water. I have a Janoel 12. The crappy instructions said to add 100 mL water but that is FAR too much. When I was adding 100mL I was getting reads in the high 60's. I've been shooting for like 45-55%.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: